Newsletters — Digitisation
The New Zealand Botanical Society acknowledges the financial assistance of the former Terrestrial and Freshwater Biodiversity Information System (TFBIS) Programme towards the digitisation of our Newsletter. The TFBIS Programme was funded by the Government to help to achieve the goals of the New Zealand Biodiversity Strategy, and was administered by the Department of Conservation.
This project involved:
- Assembling hard-copies of the journal
- Scanning about 2000 pages from issues 1 (August 1985) to 86
- scanning the original hardcopies
- assembling the scans into single PDFs by issue
- adjusting the page margins
- cleaning up marks and bleed through on the PDFs
- OCR (optical character recognition)
- Spell checking, proof reading, and correcting formatting
- Adding the metadata (document properties) fields
- Backing up the source files.
This website was created after completion of the digitisation project and the newsletters were uploaded onto it. Newsletters from March 2007 to the present are already in electronic (PDF) format, requiring fewer steps for uploading.