The New Zealand Botanical Society acknowledges the financial assistance of the Terrestrial and Freshwater Biodiversity Information System (TFBIS) Programme towards the digitisation of our Newsletter. The TFBIS Programme is funded by the Government to help to achieve the goals of the New Zealand Biodiversity Strategy, and is administered by the Department of Conservation.
This project involved:
- Assembling hard-copies of the journal
- Scanning about 2000 pages from issues 1 (August 1985) to 86 (December 2006):
- scanning the original hardcopies
- assembling the scans into single PDFs by issue
- adjusting the page margins
- cleaning up spots and bleed through on the PDFs
- OCR (optical character recognition)
- Spell checking, proof reading, and correcting formatting
- Adding the metadata (document properties) fields
- Backing up the source files.
This website was created after completion of the digitisation project and the newsletters were uploaded onto it. Newsletters from March 2007 are already in electronic format, requiring fewer steps for uploading.